I am a huge movie lover - I will see pretty much anything once. Like my book blog, this is a place where I will write reviews of the movies that I see. As always, these reviews are strictly my opinion and I welcome and encourage discussion and debate on my postings~

Sunday, January 10, 2010

It's Complicated

It's Complicated (2009) - Run time: 120min

Plot: After traveling to New York for her son's graduation, divorced Jane (Meryl Streep) ends up having an affair with her married ex-husband (Alec Baldwin). After returning home, they continue the affair - meanwhile sparks begin to fly between Jane and her architect (Steve Martin).

Review:

While a little over the top at times, overall I thought this movie was quite entertaining. I love Meryl Streep and think Alec Baldwin is hilarious and pairing the two of them in this movie was perfect. Generally, I am not a huge Steve Martin fan. I find he tends to play the same character in every movie that he's in, and his over the top, slapstick style can really get on my nerves. Having said that, I thought he was FANTASTIC in this movie. Not that his performance was overly spectacular, but he managed to make himself immediately likeable and stayed that way throughout the entire film. I actually found myself rooting for him and his sweet, likeable character Adam. Even in a scene where over the top campyness could easily have prevailed (Meryl Streep and Steve Martin getting stoned in her daughter's bathroom during a graduation party for her son), they both did a great job of not overacting and ruining the scene.

Besides the mega stars who carry the film (Streep, Martin and Baldwin), I have to give huge props to two other actors who really held their own in such a star studded cast. John Krasinski plays Harley, Meryl Streep's son-in-law who finds out about her affair early on and tries to keep the secret from his wife. He is extremely good in this role and pulls you right into his character. The utter horror he feels at knowing this secret is absolutely hilarious.

The other breakout star of the movie is Emjay Anthony who plays Alec Baldwin's step-son. This child is HILARIOUS and makes you almost never want to have children!

While pretty predictable, this movie is definitely worth watching. Guys beware, it can definitely be considered a chick flick, although I think that even guys might find this movie at least a little entertaining. Basically, it's the typical rom-com but for my mom's generation - I enjoyed it, there were many laugh out loud moments - my mom LOVED it

Rating 7.5/10

No comments:

Post a Comment