I am a huge movie lover - I will see pretty much anything once. Like my book blog, this is a place where I will write reviews of the movies that I see. As always, these reviews are strictly my opinion and I welcome and encourage discussion and debate on my postings~

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Leap Year

Leap Year (2010) - Run time: 100min

Plot:

Anna Brady (Amy Adams) is a high strung home stager in Boston who wants the perfect life. That includes the perfect proposal from her boyfriend Jeremy. During a romantic dinner, Anna is sure Jeremy is about to propose but when she opens the little black box she finds earrings. Jeremy then runs off to Ireland for a convention leaving Anna wondering about her future. Soon after, Anna decides to take advantage of an old Irish tradition that states a woman may propose to her boyfriend on Feb 29th. After a storm re-routes her plane to a small village in Ireland, Anna must rely on local innkeeper Declan (Matthew Goode) to get her to Dublin on time.

Review:

Anyone who has seen the previews for this movie knows that it is the epitome of a "chick flick" romantic comedy. Basically, once Anna meets Declan, craziness ensues and sparks fly. I happen to love cheesy rom-coms so it was right up my alley. I have to say though that the script is a little dry - the funniest parts of the movie are shown in the trailer. Thankfully, Amy Adams and Matthew Goode turn in great performances and infuse the movie with some humour and life. Matthew Goode is actually the best part of the movie - and despite his character's attitude problem, I found him immediately likable (the accent definitely adds to that!). Guys will probably cringe at the mere SIGHT of the movie poster and it won't get much better for them in the theatre. This movie uses all the classic rom-com cliches - boy and girl meet, boy and girl hate each other, boy and girl forced to spend time together, boy and girl don't hate each other quite so much anymore, you can probably guess the end. Oh, the beautiful Irish scenery is also amazing - the perfect backdrop for the sappy love story.

Final verdict? If you are in to cheesy movies where you know the ending before you even get your ticket, then you will love it. If you like plot twists and originality, this movie is probably not for you.

Rating 7/10 - it wasn't the best romantic comedy I have seen but it was pretty good

No comments:

Post a Comment