I am a huge movie lover - I will see pretty much anything once. Like my book blog, this is a place where I will write reviews of the movies that I see. As always, these reviews are strictly my opinion and I welcome and encourage discussion and debate on my postings~

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Pitch Perfect 3

Pitch Perfect 3 (2017) - Run Time: 1h34min

Plot:

"After the highs of winning the World Championships, the Bellas find themselves split apart and discovering there aren't job prospects for making music with your mouth. But when they get the chance to reunite for an overseas USO tour, this group of awesome nerds will come together to make some music, and some questionable decisions, one last time." 

Review:

Obviously, this is a sequel, which in and of itself should automatically lower expectations.  Rarely does a sequel come close to it's original.  Unfortunately, that remains true in this case as well.  Let me be clear, I still enjoyed it, it was still plenty entertaining - but when compared to the first, it was utter crap.

Bad Points:

First off, several important characters who were in the original do not make appearances.  Jesse (Skylar Astin), Bumper (Adam Devine), and Benji (Ben Platt) are nowhere to be seen (along with any of the other Treblemakers).  Now I get they were probably trying to go somewhere new with this one and didn't want to fall back on the same old plot lines they had before, but these boys added some looks and serious humour to the movies and I for one missed them.  On top of that, Stacie (Alexis Knapp) was barely in it and she was also one of my favourite characters.

Lets talk about the plot - without giving anything away let me just say that some of what happens to the Bellas on their USO tour is absolutely ridiculous.  It makes no sense and is a completely bizarre direction to take the movie into.  This movie is by far more farcical and slapstick than the previous two.

Finally, while there was some great singing (and a lot of awesome covers), there was a lack of mash ups, which is a hallmark of Pitch Perfect movies, and another one of my favourite components.

Good Points:

Although I felt that some important characters were lacking screen time (or simply just lacking in full), there were some awesome new editions to the cast.  For one, Ruby Rose (who plays Calamity, a member of another group performing in the tour) is great.  Her voice is fantastic (I am assuming it was actually her singing, as that seems to be something required of cast members),she's funny and she adds some of that banter and rivalry missing from the departure of the Treblemakers.

The singing in this one was awesome - it certainly did not disappoint.  I loved many of the songs they chose to cover, and they introduced characters who used instruments to play and not just A Capella, which adds another dimension to some of the performances.

Overall, I think this was definitely the worst of the 3 movies by far, however the music may have been better than the second one.  Having said that, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.  It was totally entertaining and I'm glad I saw it.  If you saw (and enjoyed) the first 2 films I definitely recommend seeing it, just lower your expectations a little before you sit down.  

Rating: 8 1/2 /  for music, 7 for plot and overall movie - worth a watch but not nearly as good as the original.   

No comments:

Post a Comment